Full Money 2009 Announcement
This is the announcement that Microsoft gave out to customers in August 2008 regarding Money 2009:
Annual Release Change
- Microsoft Money Plus continues to be a valuable tool for our customers; however the feedback we are hearing is that the incremental updates to the software don’t merit a new product every year. Given this, we have decided against releasing a 2009 version of Money Plus.
- We are moving off of an annual release cycle for Microsoft Money Plus (no Money 2009 version in the fall), with future release dates TBD. Money Plus continues to be a valuable tool for our customers, however the feedback we are hearing loud and clear is that, after 17 years in the market, the incremental updates to the software don’t merit a new product release every year. Given this, we have decided against releasing a 2009 version of Money Plus.
100% Online distribution (out of the packaging business and physical retail store shelves)
- More and more retail consumers are going online to shop the endless rows of digital shelves. In response to our retail partners’ needs, consumer behavior and business efficiencies, Microsoft is focusing distribution efforts for Microsoft Money Plus software online via download and discontinuing traditional box sales of the software at retail.
- Microsoft Money Plus will continue to be available at retail outlets while supplies last. We have stopped shipping new product to retail outlets.
- We have been listening to our customers and analyzing market trends and business dynamics and feel that distribution the software product online will provide our customers with the right mix of products and services that will meet their needs.
The combination of Money Plus and MSN Money will continue to provide a comprehensive source for our customer’s money and personal finance needs. Through the various tools and tight integration with the site, Money Plus customers can get a complete view of their finances, understand what bills have been paid and which are due, access stock information and tap into the extensive list of financial experts on MSN Money for tips and guidance.
OverallIs this a sign that you are getting out of the packaged PC consumer software business overall?
Microsoft does not see shrink wrapped software going away anytime soon and we are always talking to customers about different ways to price and package our software offerings. The company is evolving its strategy and product solutions to meet customer demand and optimize business efficiencies. What is your goal with moving to this download-only model? How have retail partners responded?
Our goal is to deliver products the way our retail partners and consumers are demanding. Retailers are asking for more ways to work with us on the digital distribution of Microsoft Money, so many are excited about the additional flexibility the Web offers. This move means that our retailers can provide more inventory of our products, but require less physical space to manage inventory.
Keywords: 2009, Download, Statement